Skip to Main Content


Please find below answers to the most frequent questions asked. If you do not find the answer to your inquiry below, consider emailing the Human Biology Program Office.

How do I enrol into an HMB major/specialist program?

  • High School students: Apply to Life Science program in Arts and Science at U of T through OUAC. Please contact Enrolment Services with any admission inquiries.
  • First year students: program enrolment is April to September every year. For all programs listed as Type 1 in the current Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar,
    Note: enrolment in only one HMB major at a time is permitted.
  • Higher year students: Follow program enrollment instructions above. Please come to the HMB office for a program assessment to ensure that adding/switching to an HMB major is a good academic path forward. We are happy to meet with you and plan out your major.
  • Transfer students from another university: After you have applied and are admitted and registered, bring your Transfer Letter of Assessment to the HMB Program Offices for assessment.

Can I enrol in two HMB majors?

No. The course calendar states that enrolment in only one HMB major is permitted. Talk with a student advisor about other program options and combinations.

Can I switch from one HMB program to another?

Yes! It is possible to switch following normal program enrolment instructions. If considering switching, please consult with a student advisor to determine the feasibility of completing the program in a timely manner.

I don’t meet the minimum criteria for a HMB limited enrolment program, can I apply again?
Yes, you can reapply next year, if space in the program is available. Admission will be based on all courses completed. Enrol in the associated major program to keep up with the courses in the specialist program, and speak with a student advisor to be sure you stay on track.

I took almost all of the courses required for a HMB limited enrolment program, and I meet the minimum grade criteria for the required courses I took. May I still apply for a specialist program?

You may, but students are advised that entry to the Human Biology specialists programs are competitive, and students who meet all criteria will be considered as stronger candidates.

I intend to graduate – could someone assess my eligibility to graduate?
Yes! If you intend on graduating and have submitted your graduation request through ROSI we can assess your HMB program using Degree Explorer. If you are enrolled in more than one program of study, you will have to contact those departments as well. Then visit your college registrar to have them confirm your eligibility for your degree.

I don’t intend to graduate this year, but could someone assess my program progress and advise course selection for my program?
Yes! First please check Degree Explorer for your program progress. Once you have specific questions relating to your HMB subject post drop by the HMB program office or email

Degree explorer is not recognizing some courses I took for my program (eg. Transfer credits, extra credits, joint courses, etc…), what can I do?
Email us at with your student number so that we can check that the courses count for your program and Degree Explorer can be manually updated.

Can I graduate with two HMB majors?
No. The course calendar states that enrolment in only one HMB major is permitted, so you will not be able to graduate with two Human Biology majors. Students can however combine a specialist and a major in human biology.

Can I switch from one HMB program to another?
It is possible to switch following normal program enrolment instructions. If considering switching, please consult with HMB first so that we can help you plan your new program pathway.

Can I switch from a major to a specialist?
If you meet the requirements and the specialist program is not full, you can apply again during the next program enrolment cycle. Admission will be based on all courses completed.

The Calendar has updated to the requirements for my major/specialist.  What do I do?
Students follow the calendar listing from the year they entered a program. Archived calendars may be found at the bottom of the index of the current calendar. If you are unsure what calendar you should follow for your HMB program, you can check in Degree Explorer- it will tell you the session and the year you entered your program under “start session”  on your Program of Study header. If you are confused, stop by our offices, and we will be happy to walk you through Degree Explorer.

I do not know what courses to take this year. Where can I get some advice?

For general advice on what courses could be taken each year, check out our webpage “HMB Program Pathway Tools.” It is also a good idea to check the requirements that are incomplete for your program in Degree Explorer. Degree Explorer also has a Planner platform that allows you to hypothetically map out your program pathway and assess your program status.  Further, HMB has two undergraduate coordinators who are always happy to meet with students and help program map.

May I enrol in HMB courses if I don’t fit the enrolment category?
This depends on the enrolment indicator:

  • R – No, this course is restricted and will not open up. If there are spaces in the course and no waitlist, then HMB will consider enrolment requests into these courses.
  • P – Wait for priority to lift (usually early August) and enrol on ACORN (spots fill quickly)
  • E – The program staff will enrol you. Please see our Special Course Enrolment section of our website for applications to research projects and service-learning courses.

How do I tell what programs have priority enrolment into courses?

Please check the course enrolment controls in the Arts & Science Timetable.  You may find them under a course’s schedule information by clicking and expanding the box that says “enrolment controls.”

I am looking at the enrolment controls for a HMB400-level course. I see that 3rd year students are allowed to enrol. How is that fair?

A student’s year status is assessed every July 1. Because sometimes you can be a 4th year student and be 0.5 FCE behind, we have some 4th year students who are assessed as having 3rd year status.  When you see this, it means that a spot has been reserved so that students who are actually 4th years but have 3rd year status can enrol in that course.

We do this to ensure equity: if we did not do this, any 4th year student with 3rd year status would have to be over-enrolled into a course, jumping a waitlist if there is one, to get into a course. By allowing 3rd year students to enrol in HMB400-level courses and by enforcing the pre-requisites that require a certain number of FCE complete, we can ensure 3rd year students do not in fact enroll in HMB400-level courses, but still allow our 4th year students, regardless of year status assessment, to take HMB400-level courses.

I want to take a course that has a pre-requisite of a FCE count; can that be waived?

If a pre-requisite on a HMB course is a FCE count, we generally will allow a 0.5 FCE difference (i.e. have 13.5 FCE complete when 14 FCE is required) should a student have all other prerequisites and if enrolment pressure is not too high.

How come I am on a waitlist but there are spaces in the course?

HMB uses a special type of waitlist called a “tiered waitlist.” Read more about tiered waitlists here.


What do I do if I miss a midterm test or assignment deadline?

Step 1: contact department ( and the course instructor via email to notify them of your absence
Step 2: obtain documentation
Step 3: submit original copy of documentation to the HMB office. All documentation will be verified by the Human Biology Program. Make-ups, weight re-distributions. and exemptions are at the discretion of the instructor of the affected course.

Can I make an appointment with one of my HMB course instructors?
Yes! Appointments can be made by contacting the instructor directly, not through the HMB program office. Contact information can usually be found on the course syllabus, along with office hours.

How can I get an undergraduate research opportunity?

  • For course credit: HMB, ROP, other departments, abroad programs/transfer credits
  • For pay: NSERC/other external funding, summer programs
  • Arts & Science Research
  • Graduate and Life Science Education

How do I find a supervisor for an undergraduate research project?
Think about your interests and look at the faculty list of any U of T department website. You may wish to drop by and speak to one of our staff members about supervisor seeking and applying advice.

I do not meet the pre-requisites for the research project course. Is there any way to waive these requirements?
Possibly. The last page of the application form is a waiver form. Should you secure a supervisor, they must fill out the last page and explain why the requisites you do not meet should be waived. Not all requested waiver exceptions will be granted, but no exceptions to the pre-requisites will be considered without the waiver.

I submitted my application to be in one of the Human Biology’s research project courses, but I cannot seem to enrol myself in the course on ROSI. What do I do?
Your application will be reviewed by HMB faculty. Once your application has been accepted you will be enroled in the course by the department. If your application is not accepted, you will be notified by email.

Where can I find the application for the HMB Research Project Course?
On the HMB Research page on this website, under Applications on the HMB Research Project Courses.

What can I pursue with my HMB program?

  • Professional schools (medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, others)
  • Teaching
  • Michener Institute
  • Graduate School/Research
  • Industry/Government/NGO
  • PT/OT/SLP/
  • Business/MBA